jueves, 15 de septiembre de 2011

Art heist of Munch's The Scream and Madonna

 


Hi guys! How are you doing? I’d like to apologize since last week I didn’t add a post, but don’t worry! Now I bring more information about another art heist. Now, I think almost everybody know about Edvard Munch’s The Scream painting, the one in the picture in the right.  Now you remember? Nice, but I’ll also tell about other art heist that actually happened at the same date, at the same museum, and at the same corner. Edvard Munch’s Madonna, not the singer we now but the painting, just in case you were wondering about that (the picture in the left). If you find this kind of shocking, then let me warn you that this theft is different than the last ones -Mona Lisa and The Duke of Wellington-. (BBC News)
 How so? Well, first than all, I got to tell you that there are two versions of this theft, one says that the thieves just took the paintings and left a note saying something like “Thanks for the poor security”, and went out to a car that was waiting them. (Iqbal) The other version is the one I’m going to tell you. I trusted more this version because the information I found out about it was from BBC News and CNN and so, that were published either on the same date of the theft or the day after. I’m telling you this so that, if you look for information and you get the other version, or if someone randomly tells you about this story, then you could know the truth, what really happened.
Okey then, moving on, let’s continue with the theft. This theft is different than the last ones because, first, both paintings weren’t simply taken and tucked under the jacket of the person who stole them or so… no, they were taken at gunpoint by the thieves. Both paintings were stolen in Sunday, 22 August 2004, in broad daylight. It seems there were two mask robbers that entered from the cafeteria of the museum and directly went to where the paintings were placed (looks like they already knew about them). There, some witnesses said one man was pointing at them with the gun, as in controlling them, while the other one snatch the paintings off the wall, and finally both got out to a waiting car. The thing here I thought was the most surprising was that the paintings were hung on with nothing else but wires, there wasn’t neither an alarm when taking them, nor there were any guards near the paintings, there weren’t hard security, considering they are kind of cultural treasures.  (BBC News) (CNN)
Jorunn Christofferson, an officer from the museum, said that they were more concern about the visitors than of the theft. You know, even if it looks like an excuse, I think this was a really good decision, because we all know that the paintings can be localized in the future, but lives don’t. But still both paintings were found (thanks to a witness that identified the car that was waiting the thieves), and returned in the same day. The only problem was that the paintings were cut in pieces, like if the thieves were thinking that if they were caught, they at least would have some pieces to sell them. There were no injuries and no shots were fired. (Christofferson) (BBC News)
I hope you all enjoyed it, and sorry that it was really long, but I still think it is a very interesting story. Post you next week… Comments! :D

Words: 592


Stephany Gómez Oropeza 
A01280160

4 comentarios:

  1. For the teacher...


    BIBLIOGRAPHY.-

    BBC News. Scream stolen from Norway museum . Sunday, 22 de August de 2004. .
    CNN. Armed robbers steal 'The Scream'. Monday, 23 de August de 2004. .
    Iqbal, Nosheen. theguardian. Thursday, 19 de February de 2009. .
    Madonna,

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Stephany! First, I found it very interesting that this two master pieces were stolen at the same time, in the same place! Personally, I think "The Scream" is a very interesting painting, and I have to say is one of my favorites. I can't believe it was that easy to steal the paintings! I mean, there were just two people stealing them, and there was no security in the place... What is wrong with this people? Another incredible thing is that the painting were just hung with wires without any protection, no wonder why it was this easy for the robbers to steal the paintings.
    Words: 106
    Alejandra Treviño

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Epy!
    I really enjoy to read your blog, is so interesting to see how easily is to steal a painting, and I am impressed how 2 paintings can be stolen in the same day, the same place, the same room! And that there was no security I am so sad that the security is bad, because how they could notice, I mean there were 2 painting, no one there were two! , and two robbers how they couldn’t notice, but hey, it was good that paintings were located by identifying the car that carried them.
    Thank you for this story, see you the next week!
    Carolina Perez
    -106 words

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Epy! Hi!
    It's good to read your blog again.
    I really like the way you describe and explain the thefts.
    I think the topic in this post is really interesting.
    I got a really bit upset about it because I like to paint and I know
    how difficult it could be and I also appreciate art. For me, it is like a way
    of expressing what is going on in your mind: your thoughts, your dreams, your ideas. So, for that reason, I cannot image how some people are able to steal art pieces. I think that the art is a right for everyone. You can create art and admire art. But, when someone steal a masterpiece just to gain money, in my point of view, that is a selfish and ignorant act.
    It is good to know that the pieces were rescued.
    And I hope the museum improves its security.
    The art is a characteristic of the man, so, we have to protect what make us what we are.

    170 words
    Daniela Ramírez Ramos
    A01280558

    ResponderEliminar