jueves, 13 de octubre de 2011

Largest Art Heist in HISTORY!!



Hello people, long ago I don’t post! So, how are doing? Everything is fine? I hope so :)
Well, do you want to know about the largest art heist in HISTORY? Sounds cool right? But the thing is that, as we saw in other art heists, it was pretty easy. Ok, now, let me tell you a little about the museum, so that you can understand some things that will come later with the story of the heist. When Gardner’s husband, a magnate, died in 1898, he left his wife Gardner like 3 million dollars, with which Gardner started constructing in her house (or that’s what it looks like). And some years later, when Gardner died, she asked for her house to remain as a museum, and the paintings stayed as she had already hung them. So, basically, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is an antique house, that’s why it is more reasonable to understand that they may not have the huge necessary security, and so the thieves could stole the paintings in an easy way.
So, back to the heist story, it was kind of like this: there were some guards, inexperienced guards, (apparently, according to what CBS News says), obviously, doing their guard. When two other mans came to them, they were dressed with the guard’s uniforms, and they tell the two naïve guards that they were investigating something, a disturbance issue, and then out of the blue they tied up the guards and wandered in the museum like about 80 minutes or so. The thieves took 13 artworks during that time and then leave. They were taking the paintings from their frames with something like a cutter, maybe because they didn’t wanted to ruin the painting or something, like it they already knew how to do the stuff, looks like they were already paid and explained by someone. Among the paintings they stole, there were two from Rembrandt, taking his only seascape painting "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee," “The Concert” from Verneer, some drawings by Degas, Manet, and a Chinese bronze beaker. This all counts like over 200 million dollars.
It looks like they knew what they were doing, where they were heading to, which works they were looking for. And that most be because someone else helped them with the plan, and maybe he/she paid them with money for the “fake guards” to steal the stuff.
The paintings haven’t being found until nowadays, considering that the theft was on March, 18, 1990, it’d being like 21 years without finding them. And what’s worse is that maybe they are in some rich person’s house as an exhibition or someone’s basement.
So, what do you think? I hope you found it interesting, I would like to keep talking about it, but I’m out of time, sorry :(  Post you next week! :D

472 Words

Stephany Gómez Oropeza

BIBLIOGRAPHY.-
Gardner Mystery Lingers 20 Years On. CBS News. CBS EVENING News. 8 de March de 2010. <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/06/eveningnews/main6273666.shtml>.

3 comentarios:

  1. Wow Epy! Have I told you that I like the way you describe the events? I guess I have, right? Well, it is totally truth!
    Well, talking about the post, I found it really interesting and sad at the same time.
    I got a really angry because I cannot imagine how this museum was not prepared with more security. The art is part of humanity, and what I think is that the government or the local police should take care of it all time. But it seems like they do not care or something.
    Well, well. I think that some day the painting will be discovered and the person who is holding them will be punished severely. It is not fair that just the rich (and bad) people can enjoy the beauty of art, because it is for every single human being, in my point of view (:

    Take care Epy! Keep writing!

    Daniela Ramírez A01280558
    153 words.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Intereseting, very very interesting, I would like to know more about that story, it would be awsome to hear more about that story. Its very sad to hear about valuable paintings stolen from their places, I really dislike that because no one else will see them, not even I. I like paintings, and art, I like to draw in my free time or when I have finished my homework, I like people to look at my drawings, not for the personal satisfaction of looking at them looking at the work I have done knowing that they dont have ability to draw like I do, I prefer my drawings to be seen by someone because if I dont, no one will see them and they will have no value to them. I am not sure if you understand what I am saying, but what I think is that all drawings must be seen to have a value, because if the author of the painting/drawing doesn't show someone his work it will not be important, at least that is what I think, its the same thing with money if you keep your money and dont use it, it will have no value.

    I liked your blog, I dont think it will be the last time you will see me commenting here, the tittle "defeating-dragons" made me think this blog was something about mythology or something like that, but its about art.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Epy! Wow, I found your post very interesting. I can´t believe this people got to steal 13 art pieces worth more than 200 million dollars without being caught. However, I think its very sad that this lady, Isabella Stewart Gardner, only wanted to make her house a museum in order to leave something nice to humanity, and this people stole most of the museum´s art pieces. I think its a good way to leave a legacy to make your house a museum, because people would be able to see the way you lived and the things you liked when you were alive. I´m sure this lady wanted the future to know her, to get to see how her life was like when she was alive. And I think its very sad how this people just stole all her things without thinking how special this was for her.
    it´s very funny how this two men got to fool the guards (Well, according to the story), and steal more than 200 million dollars in art! Just imagine what you can do with that money. You would probably be able to live your whole life without working a day, and you could even keep your family in good economic conditions for generations. However, I think this story could be a lie. Maybe the guards were the ones who stole the art pieces, and they invented this story in order to keep them safe. Another alternative option could be that the guards and the thieves had an agreement, and they planned to steal the art pieces and divide the money.
    Bye Epy, I´ll read you next week!

    274 words

    Alejandra Treviño Lozano A01280206

    ResponderEliminar